Spanish to English Translation
French to English Translation
- Master of Arts in French, University of Western Ontario, Canada
- Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish Language, University of the Americas, Cholula, Puebla, Mexico
- Bachelor of Arts in Modern Languages (Honors), University of Western Ontario
- Studies in French, University of Paris, France
- Master of Library and Information Science, University of Western Ontario
- Post-graduate Diploma in Adult Education, University of Alberta
I have been translating for some years in all subject areas as a volunteer translator for a local immigration services association, translating from Spanish and French to English. For several years I proofread other translators’ work as well.
· I lived and worked in Mexico for three years and also in Ecuador for some time. For the past nineteen years I have lived in Mexico for the winter and kept my Spanish up-to-date.
· I studied French in Paris.
· I was born in a small town in eastern Ontario, where most people speak French. So I have been hearing and speaking French all my life.
· As a native English speaker, I have strong writing skills, enjoy finding the appropriate word or phrase, and am a grammar fanatic.
· With experience working in university library reference departments in Canada and in Mexico, and experience teaching reference and research at a community college for many years, I use my skills in research when I encounter a difficult concept in translating. In this way I can combine my knowledge and love of languages with my research skills.
· I have published magazine articles, and have also edited English-language publications, proposals, project plans, and PhD dissertations.
· I enjoy working from home and worked in my home office for thirteen years, teaching senior high school French, Spanish, and German for a distance education center. I have no problems meeting deadlines.
Recent Professional Development:
- “Getting Started as a Free-lance Translator” course by Corinne McKay. June/July, 2011.
- “Associate-level Exam Preparation Tutorial” & “Introduction to Translation – Weekend Seminar” by the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta. July, 2011.
- Workshop: “But It Still Reads Like a Translation!” An Interactive Workshop on Improving and Enhancing Language, Style and Cultural References in Translation. May 2014.
· Fluent in Spanish and French and English.
· I especially like the challenge of translating documents that use difficult language. I have translated birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, university transcripts, letters of recommendation, court orders, court settlements, newspaper and magazine articles, and many other types of documents.
Copyright © 2011 Patricia Hall